Monday, April 12, 2010

The Same, Yet Different

The largest challenge of two professionals getting married most certainly centers around duplicates. Beds, couches, washing mashines, rugs, sheets, towels and our favorite, mortgages. It seemed almost cute at the beginning. We decided we would move into Tad's home for several reasons. Mostly because of the space and the view, but also because it is closer to work for both of us and there were more bathrooms - an essential for both of us getting ready for work in the morning. We started to refer to my home as "the country home". It is a whopping 3 miles from our current residence. When I called to change the insurance on it and the agent queried what we were going to do with the "country home", my retort was "weekends" with a stifled giggle. That was all good until now, 7 mortgage payments later we have nothing to show for it other than a very expensive storage facility that says "Janin" throughout.

Enter my friend Sally. She is a spitfire of epic proportion. We are very similar in many respects. She has a smile that doesn't stop. She is kind, generous, sharing, and easy to talk to. She is just FUN to be around. SO, last week when we came over to Tad and my condo and she asked "when are you going to put YOUR mark on this condo?", I jumped into action. Before we knew it, furniture was being moved. Chandeliers elevated (when you pay for a view, it may as well be un-obstructed), decisions of what would stay and what would have to go were being made. Tad was at work. I was safe. Until he came home.

Tad walked in, got a grin on his face and said "what have you done?!". I explained. The dining room table took up too much space. I had to move the wine cabinet to open up what would now be my sitting room. Oh, and the dining room table? Gone. Just because of the shape. We will still have a table but the new one will have to be angular in shape. Forutnately, we just bought a storage facility. The old table will not be disposed of, just put away for later use. When he looked at me and said "you seriously raised the chandellier all by yourself?" and my retort was "no, Sally helped", he immediately said she couldn't come over to play any more. Then he called her (he introduced us) and said this was what we both needed and thanked her.

SO, Saturday morning, we went up to see the decorator that did the condo initially. We found the perfect chairs for the sitting area. They need to be upholstered. The rest will come. It will be perfect before the summer and entertaining season. The end result: more open space. More seating.

Last night, I couldn't help myself. I moved the chairs from the living room window seating to the new sitting area. Check it out. And, be sure to thank Sally.







A now vacant dining room - my antique elephant marks where a small table (for my wine) will sit.







Second View



The new space - once we get the correct chairs and a new table and some new lighting, it will be beautiful!!!
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment