Sunday, August 30, 2009

BECAUSE I'M THE BRIDE!

What a weekend! My Mom flew in from San Jose because a few weeks ago I had major panic that I wasn't crossing all my t's and dotting all my i's. So, after a call and maybe a tear or two she immediately bought a ticket to come help do "all things wedding" for the weekend. This was huge because a) it is summer in Atlanta. My Mom doesn't do heat and she certainly doesn't do humidity - nor does her hair b) I really wanted her to see everything we had chosen and c) she hadn't met Tad's Mom Judy yet! So, we made a serious weekend of it. I had it all planned out -- morning noon and night. There would be NO time for rest. She could do that on the plane. We had STUFF to do and hit the ground running. First things first: girl stuff. Hair cuts, undergarment fittings (for the big gig) and shopping for the 3rd Mother of the Bride dress. We were hoping to find THE PERFECT gown for the big gig. She had already purchased 2 others. The first she loathed (internet purchase) and the second is currently being made but it isn't "the right gown". So, Judy recommended a few places in Atlanta and off we went. After much searching, we found THE ONE. Sort of. The designer doesn't make it in her size. No big deal. The seamstress in the shop could make it work. Except the designer can't get it to her until December 1. Big problem. Sort of. In walks Rodica. She is amazing. A custom couture seamstress who will be duplicating the PERFECT gown for my mom. Best of all, it will be ready in time for the wedding. YEAH! Watch on E-Bay for things being sold by my Dad (Big Bait may be his E-Bay ID?) - no he is not a cross dresser but my Mom has a few dresses that would otherwise never leave her closet. We had dinner with our Moms at the 191 Club so they could get to know one another and taste our amazing menu.

Saturday morning we were off for a second round of cake tasting. Fortunately, they were both up to the task and the flavors have been chosen. Mark, our cake artisan, sent us home with even more samples. Apparently he hasn't gotten the memo about wearing white in two months -- nor did he hear my Mom tell me that I couldn't leave the house sans Spanx.


Momma P, Mark and Momma H
enjoying cake



Mark, THE CAKE FAIRY
says he will wave his magic wand and it will be perfect!
The biggest event of the weekend, after undergarments, finding a dress for Mom, haircuts, lunch at Neiman Marcus and searching for the perfect everything was our engagement party hosted by Kathy and Ken Bernhardt. Kathy and Ken had been planning this for quite some time and hosted the PERFECT pre-cursor to "The Big Gig". We walked in and Kathy gave me the ultimate accessory, which everyone will see from now until October 24. It is a sash with hot pink trim and embroidery that says "BECAUSE I'M THE BRIDE". Pretty succinct. I am pretty sure I squealed when I opened it and figured out how to put it on. We had an AMAZING night with so many wonderful friends. I was amazed -- and now understand why brides say there just isn't time to eat or drink at your own wedding. I didn't even have time at our engagement party. Maybe this is part of the diet plan. Should have had more partys -- would have kept me away from the buffet and out of the Spanx. At any rate, during all of this, I came down with a terrible cold. At the end of the night, Tad quietly asked me how much I had had to drink that night and when I said "a glass and a half of wine" he raised his eyebrows. That's when I figured it out: in my blood was floating 4 Sudafed, 1 Allegra, 1 Singulair, 1 Mucinex DM and a glass and a half of wine. Self medicating to hopefully clear the ears, stop the cough and dry the nose has led my future husband to believe I drank too much at our party. I can only imagine the slurry impression I left on our guests.

Still vertical even after all the cold medicine


With Kathy and Ken Bernhardt

We had an incredible weekend with our Moms and owe Kathy and Ken more thanks than we will ever be able to express. Keep an eye out for a rogue blonde who stifles her cough and is running around Atlanta with a hot pink sash on. She is likely doing "All things wedding" and will try to get away with murder, "BECAUSE I'M THE BRIDE".



No comments:

Post a Comment