Friday, June 5, 2009

Dresses, Dresses, Dresses!

I came home to California to shop for my gown with my mom. She has spent the last 6 weeks pouring over magazines, catalogs and the Internet looking for the perfect dress for me. She has driven the state, interviewed boutiques and made appointments for me so that once I arrived all of our ducks were in a row. One salon she didn't extensively interview had an impeccable reputation and fortunately had an opening for the day of my arrival. We made our way over, where we met with Michelle, our consultant. I don't think she knew what she was in for. Mom should have warned her about her fashion-challenged daughter who hasn't even looked at dresses before walking in to meet poor Michelle. Michelle listened to what I wanted - elegant, sophisticated and simple. She then disappeared and brought me 5 gowns. The first I immediately dismissed. Michelle insisted that I try it on. Since I wanted to be a good sport for Mom, I figured I would oblige. She got me in this gown and when I went out to the riser, I was blown away. I didn't recognize that girl in that gown who was looking back at me. Nothing else compared. Mom insisted that we go to two other salons, where she had made appointments because she didn't want me to have the "what if" factor. I never made it out of the dressing rooms. Many of them I wouldn't allow the consultant close. This morning, we went back to the first salon and Michelle. We took along my dad and a dear friend of the family, Mrs. Hillhouse who has been like an aunt to me my entire life. We tried on 2 gowns that grandma liked the first go-around and the very first one again. Dad wondered who that girl in the dress was. Mrs. Hillhouse cried. Mom started choosing accessories. Dad insisted on a veil. We bought the dress. It is beautiful. It is so much more than I could have ever hoped for. Most importantly, it doesn't make me look fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment