Sunday, November 22, 2009

Because I Am "Handy".....


Many years ago, when I moved into my very first apartment, my parents bought me a VERY cool tool kit. I seriously questioned this purchase as I could barely change a light bulb let alone figure out what to do with a level. As time went by, I educated myself. I got to the point where not only could I hang pictures, I could install wall anchors, grout, put together furniture and not have too many left over parts, install dimmers and change fixtures. Then, I got married. I have always been proud of my self-sufficiency. My husband prefers to hire help for all things repair worthy.
Combining two homes has been a challenge. Making his bachelor haven a home for me as well as added its own set of issues. Tad no longer enjoyed using the master bathroom shower, as he was afraid of getting one of my razors in his toosh when he sat on the integrated shower bench that had become home to my toiletries. I loathed the very small, tarnishing shower caddy that hung from the shower head. Time to shop for a replacement. We found a very cool shelf system in the Sky Mall catalogue that might solve all of our issues. It involved a floor to ceiling pole that houses baskets and sits in the corner of the shower. It had plenty of space for my belongings and Tad would no longer be afraid of the Gillettes laying on the bench.
Our super cool shower system arrived it the mail and I was so very excited to put it together. After opening the box, it appeared to be very simple and straight forward to assemble. As Tad watched in pure astonishment, I got to work and had it installed in about 5 minutes. He was very kind in donating his time to handing me parts and steering clear of the area in general. We both got very excited when it was erect and holding all of our shower goodies. He took the first shower with the new gadgetry installed and warned me not to use anything with a pump because the pressure caused the pole to slide. I experienced the same thing. As we were both in the bathroom later getting ready for a big event, we heard a horrific crash. Our new shower system had given way and was no longer standing. As I looked at what had happened with complete horror I quickly realized that I installed the system upside-down. Oops. Maybe I should have looked at the instructions. I instead decided to cite my Polish lineage and we had the greatest laugh over the whole thing.
Maybe there is something to be said for hiring a professional.........

1 comment: